Jan 28, 2013

Archetypal Awareness - You and Your Characters

On Saturday, one of my CP's, Rosalyn, introduced me to this website where you get to fill out a quiz and it will let you know what your archetype is.  It's kind of like a personality test, but a little different. (While I'm on the topic of personality tests, you really need to go read the series Rosalyn wrote about personalities and writing types.  It's absolute genius!)

So, back to archetypes.  After taking the quiz, this is what mine showed up like.


This is my hubby's.


You have the option to create an account and it will show you things that you will probably enjoy for the different archetypes that you are.  But then I had this idea.  What if I could do this for my characters?  And with the kinds of questions that are there, you have to know your characters to answer them.  This is the archetype of how my character perceives herself.


This may have just become my favorite tool for getting to know my characters, and if you aren't logged in, you can take the quiz as many times as you want, for as many characters as you want.

Do you have any other techniques to learn more about your characters?



11 comments :

JeffO said...

I just write and think, think and write. Some of them are loosely based on people I know in real life, though I try to emphasize the 'loosely' part of that.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

This is a great tool and fun to use.

Nicole said...

Oh, that sounds like a fun tool!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it would be interesting to toss a character in and see what happens.

Jessie Humphries said...

I love this kind of thing! I am so checking this out!

Livia Peterson said...

The tool sounds fun and interesting. I may need to try it for when I write characters ;)

Emily R. King said...

I've got to take this quiz. Very interesting. Thanks for the link!

Sarah said...

According to the quiz, I'm a creative intellectual. The two sides of my brain at war with each other. :/

Deana said...

That is so cool. I'll be using that for sure!!!!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Okay. I think I'm going to have to take this test. lol

Great. Something else to think about.

J. A. Bennett said...

Awesome, I'll have to look into that. Looks amazing!