Jan 7, 2013

New Look and Balancing Life

As you may have noticed, I did a complete overhaul of the blog. I realized two things.  1. I'm going to have to get REALLY sick of this look before I'll attempt it again.  2.  I was so not born to be a graphic designer.  I could see what I wanted in my head, but don't have the skills to create it on my own and spend WAY too many hours searching through the web to find something I liked. But I am still making some tweaks, so if there is something off you noticed, please let me know.

If everything goes well, at the time when this post goes live, I'll be in the gym.  It was a great habit that I actually really enjoyed and then I tore some ligaments in my ankle and then had surgery on them and everything tanked.  But this time around (as I mentioned last week), I'm not trying to burn 400 calories in a workout, something that was a must before.  That can't be a goal because, before when I did meet this goal, after gyming and teaching and moming, I wrote maybe 500 words a week.  I was too stinking tired.

I have been really seriously writing for just over a year, and in that process I learned a few things.  The greatest one is, for me to have what I want and take care of what I need to, there has to be some compromise.  And there has to be some focus on what is really important.  Going to the gym?  Important.  I'm a fan of being healthy.  Killing myself to be as skinny as many people I'm around?  Not important.  And I will let you know that it took two years of learning to love the skin I'm in to come to this point after a holy meltdown batman incident.  Besides, I'll only be as skinny as many of these people two weeks after I'm dead, and that doesn't work with my future plans.

I want to write.  I have LOVED my last two week break from teaching.  I would love to have that be my lifestyle, to find a way to make writing equal what I make teaching.  And if I burn all my energy in the morning, there is no way I'll even hit publication.

What balance negotiations have you had to have with yourself? Did you make your resolutions in a way that will let that happen? Are there some modifications you could make now to increase the possibility?

25 comments :

Dani said...

I LOVE the new look! I think you did a fantastic job with it!! My kids loved the two weeks off as well, and I loved them home. Although I had to work, it's nice knowing where they are and knowing they are safe.
Hope you had an enjoyable time at the gym!

S.P. Bowers said...

Besides, I'll only be as skinny as many of these people two weeks after I'm dead, and that doesn't work with my future plans.

Hilarious! I've had to tweak my writing schedule. Naps are not happening with the regularity and length they used to so it is just not working as writing time. Now I am getting up at 5am instead of 5:30. That little bit of time has really helped with the writing, but we'll see if it lasts. I'm up several times a night with kids so sleep may win out in the end.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Had to laugh at the skinny part. I can be thin, but I am the wrong body shape for skinny. The thighs are not going anywhere no matter what I do.

Tasha, the look is clean and professional.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the new look!
I'm still trying to figure out my balance and need to make some decisions soon.

Cristina said...

i really like the new look. Nice job!

Balancing is so hard. Some weeks I'm better at it then others. But all we can do is keep trying, right?

Shell Flower said...

Arg, blogger ate my comment and I have to leave for work in 2 minutes. Anyway, I can soooo relate to this post.

Julie Luek said...

I am constantly evaluating my balance. Health is always a priority, as is family while I still have kiddos at home. Writing is a priority I need to take more seriously as is practicing my musical instrument-- nurturing my creative side. The trick for me, is to keep it balanced without obsessing on any one aspect. The other trick, for me, is letting a few things go, even though they are worthy. Ahhh -- like a see-saw, always trying to find the middle ground with little corrections.

Tonja said...

Your blog looks great! I wouldn't have guessed you had trouble with it. I am definitely struggling with balance - writing, my health, my kids. What seems to be suffering the most is sleep, which affects everything else in a bad way.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I think we're all looking for balance. I'm naturally uncoordinated, so I might be in trouble!
Love the new look.

Suzanne Furness said...

Love the new look blog. Still trying to find the answer to balance and finding enough hours in the day!

J. A. Bennett said...

I agree, no need to feel like the thinnest person in the room, it's all about living healthy and having balance in your life. Great post!

ilima said...

Love the new look! I'm still trying to figure out this balance thing.

Rosalyn said...

The new blog looks great! I think most (sane) people struggle with balance. Right now, exercise has been the thing that suffers most for me--I'm still trying to figure out how to make time for that *and* writing without sacrificing sleep. Since I'm still up 2-3 times a night with a baby, I can't sacrifice more sleep unless I want to give my kids the mother from H*ll . . .

Andrew Leon said...

I understand completely about being too tired to write. My wife is often saying that I should take some time in the evening once the kids have gone to bed to do some extra writing, but, by that time, my brain is just too tired to do it.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Love your new look, Tasha! And yes, balance is hard to find... something I'm struggling with as well!

Elaine said...

Love the new look of the blog! You're always an inspiration. And for the record, you look as fabulous in person as your blog looks online. :)

Livia Peterson said...

I love your new look, Tasha! Good job! :)

Kelley Lynn said...

NICE look. Well done my dear!

Nick Wilford said...

You've done a great job with the look, for being no designer! Very classy.

Balance is the eternal struggle. Good to recognise that you can have too much of a good thing, ie with exercise. I hope you find a good equilibrium this year.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Great new look. I'm very envious. I happened to blog on almost the same thing as you today, having balance in all the demands on your time.

Leigh Covington said...

Finding balance - so not easy. And life is constantly teaching me the difference between what's important and what's not. Definitely important to love the skin we're in!

And I love the overhaul too! Super cute. I need to do something with mine, but not sure what I want. :)

Lisa Regan said...

I've given up so much exercise to get more writing done. One of my goals is to exercise more this year. It really is important. It's always a balancing act, especially when you've got a real job!

Lisa Regan said...

Oh right! I LOVE this new look! Very cheery. Makes me want to stay and hang out.

Nicole said...

Fantastic new look! I'd say you're safe with keeping it around for a while. ;)

Susanne Drazic said...

I like the new look! You did a good job with it.