Jan 23, 2013

Refocusing

I've been blogging for over a year, and I remember, when I started, there were many authors who were having blogger burnout, authors who had also been blogging for over 4, 5 or 6 years.  The whole blogging thing was new and exciting to me, and I couldn't understand how people didn't want to blog.

I still love blogging, but I can't seem to work it in lately like I want to.  I have been making progress on the revision of my novel, pushing hard to fine tune a query letter before I let other's work it over for me, researching agents and LOVING every single second of it.  And then I remember I need to blog, and I tell myself I'll get to that first thing tomorrow morning, and now it's after 9:00 local time and I'm just getting to this post only to realize I never posted on Monday.  I really don't know how you people who post 5 days do it.

I had plans to write all my posts on Saturdays, but my last few Saturdays got taken over by new responsibilities my family recently acquired.  But I'm not fizzling out.  This is my post to tell you that I want to do better, that I miss responding and interacting with all you lovely people, jumping around to blogs, seeing how everyone is doing.  There are some places I haven't been in months.  But I want you to know that I'm not backing down, just reorganizing.  And I really want to thank you all, for probably the millionth time and about a million times too few, for the amazing community that you are.  You have changed my life in ways I can't even begin to understand, and I'm so so grateful.

16 comments :

Julie Luek said...

You know, I think this was a topic on many bloggers' minds as we entered 2013. I have seen a lot of posts about rethinking the agendas and time spent on blogging. I've reevalutated my time and intentions as well. I think blogging is a trend many writers jumped on and now the market, so to speak, is getting glutted, our time scarce, and we're giving the idea and investment more thought.

Angeline Trevena said...

I really struggle to keep up with the blog and it does sit very low on my priority list. But it has felt for a while like the Blogger community has got a little quieter. Or maybe it's just that I'm not engaging as much as I used to?

Jessie Humphries said...

Blogging is not my fave right now. But then when I do it, I realize how much I miss you all when I don't. Vicious cycle! If you ever need a query reader, I would love to help.

Donna K. Weaver said...

When I first started out I blogged three times a week. I loved visiting people's blog and reading new and interesting things. But I found it took away writing time, so I cut back to once a week. I miss the interaction, but I'd miss writing even more.

Tammy Theriault said...

I cut back to one a week for a post...gives me more time for commenting and writing.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I think we're all having trouble balancing the blogs with the books. And the dishes. And the laundry.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been blogging for over three years, and while I might feel burned out for a day, it never lasts. Still just as fun. Now you know why I only blog three days a week.
Find a system and pattern that works for YOU.

Nicole said...

I think lots of folks get to that burnout stage. I'm with you, where I'd much rather be writing than blogging. It's simply trying to find the right balance. And, really, there's nothing "simple" about it. ;)

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Blogging all the time is hard.
Well, let me correct that. Blogging AND writing all the time is hard.
I think I could do that even better, give me another shot. Writing is hard.

Phew, that sounds about right.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I think it's natural to have ebbs and flows in blogging - sometimes there's less you want to say than others. The thing with having an established blog like yours is that your followers will always be here waiting for the next post, whenever it appears :-)

ilima said...

Just do what you can do and be happy with it. I barely manage 2 posts a week, and I try to keep them short. But I'm willing to adjust as needed if I need to. Good luck.

Patrycja Photography said...

Very cool blog. Interesting posts. ;)
Nice atmosphere guests with you here on the blog. ;]
Yours. Have a nice day. !

Follow me on facebook fanpage and blog
I'm very concerned about this, please. :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-another-light/413836138693856

Emily R. King said...

I'm so glad you blog, Tasha. It was wonderful meeting you in person last year, and I hope I get to see you again this year!

BTW, I adore your new look!

Livia Peterson said...

Finding balance is hard. I try to blog at least three times a week, if not less or more depending how busy I am.

Blogging is time-consuming and that's the problem. It will never go away. And I love this community as well, it's so supportive and encouraging.

I know I should write when blogging, but it's so dang distracting. I better work on that too :)

Great post, Tasha!

David P. King said...

While I enjoy blogging, I know there's more to life than it. You have things to do and books to write, so all you can do is what you can do. None of us will think you less for it (and if they do, why I oughta ...). We're here for you, no matter how often you post. :)

Kelley Lynn said...

I have found that I needed to backoff a little with the blogging thing too. I still do it, but not as much. It's an important part, but it needs its place.