Feb 6, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group - Changing

It is time, once again, for the Insecure Writer's Support Group posting. It was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh and is a great place to get together with others in various points of the writing journey.  You can learn more about it here.

This post is way later than I would like it to be, but that's okay.  At the start of the year, I told myself I wasn't going to stress stuff that isn't worth stressing, because I have a tendency to do that - lots.  But as I was thinking about what I was going to write when I had a few minutes, I realized the progress I've made in my writing life.

My husband got put into a bishopric with our church about three weeks ago, which translates to him being gone more.  And then, on Saturday, he got a new job, which is a huge blessing, but which is going to take us a little while to transition into the new schedule.

My moment of realization was to see that my writing time really hasn't taken a hit.  I've made it a priority, something that was very hard last year.  This is the goal, the plan, and because I've made is such, it's working.  Perfectly, no, but progressing.  Gym time and blogging have taken a bit of a hit, but when I was ranking what I wanted to accomplish, they weren't the top goal - they can't be and have writing be.

This is often the time of year when New Year's resolutions are becoming a memory, when we will dismiss something that was important for other things that aren't. For financial reasons, I changed from a DirecTV subscription to a Roku box several months ago, and found I haven't missed the TV time like I thought I would, because it has been filled with the things I love more than TV.  I don't go to as many local sporting events (I live in a small college town) because they have dropped down the list of priorities.  And I quit paying attention to other people's writing accomplishments because I'm not as fast as they are. Period. But progress is progress, and we each need to find our method to productivity, and ultimately happiness.

What have you done to keep your goals your goals?  What have you cut that you thought you would miss, but haven't? What are you doing to still make sure you are happy?

12 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's why I've adjusted my priorities. I have too many things on which to focus, which means none of them will be done well. Outside of God, my wife, and my job, music must come before writing right now. And I'm cool with that!

ilima said...

I don't miss TV much either. But though I say I don't pay attention to other's accomplishments, I wasted away my morning yesterday playing around with my new publisher's marketplace subscription and checking out deals of other authors. Hmm. I seriously need to get writing again, because that always makes me happy.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I don't watch much TV either. Usually just listen to what the kids turn on.

I'm impressed that you're not comparing yourself to other writers. I'm a bit guilty of it and it gets me NOWHERE really fast. Well, it takes me to Insecurity Land, but the taxes are high there, so I don't want to live there.

J. A. Bennett said...

I've kinda overloaded myself this year, but I like being busy, Although I am a little stressed about finishing my book in time to pitch it this April. Should be a mad dash until then!

Susan Roebuck said...

First, congratulations on your husband's bishopric. That must be lovely. I live in Portugal so I don't get much choice for television but I've grown used to that. You're absolutely right about what you say about priorities, mine's also writing at the moment. Like you, I can't believe how fast people can turn out books!!!

M. R. Buttars said...

Congrats to your husband's new calling and job! Thanks so much for this post. It is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm still working on prioritizing life, but it gets better every day. :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

Good for you and congrats on your hubby's new job. Setting goals and being realistic while perseverig can be a hard balance. But it is attainable.

Julie Luek said...

I learned a long time ago, I don't do well with feeling over-extended and taught myself to be comfortable saying no to a lot. The goals are actually going quite well this year. I'm rather amazed. Of course, it is only February isn't it. ;)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I watch very little TV, probably less than an hour a day on average. Even when I have it on, I never sit in front of the TV and just watch it. I always do something else at the same time. Like visit blogs.

Miranda Hardy said...

Congrats to your husband and all the new opportunities.

After I turned off the tv, I found more time for writing, which is awesome. I don't miss it one bit, although I'm a little out of touch sometimes with whats going on. lol

Krista McLaughlin said...

I rarely watch much TV anymore other than NCIS and movies as background noise. Life is so busy and it's hard to make priorities! Some days it feels like we need a few more uninterrupted hours in a day!

Tia Bach said...

My biggest problem is that I get so busy I actually forget to prioritize what really matters. I hate to feel like I've left something undone, so I end up spending times simply "doing" things.

So it's nice to see you know the writing is what matters.