Mar 6, 2013

IWSG - Time and Progress

It is that time, once again, when we voice our insecurities about this venture of writing and all it's many facets.  The idea for this comes from Alex J. Cavanaugh's head, and quite frankly, is brilliant.

We are all busy. I get that. March is the craziest month of my life for many reasons which include three birthdays in sixteen days, I'm in charge of Prom at the high school again this year, there are string and piano festivals my kids are in, science fair projects, plays, dance competitions, and a whole slew of things that pull me a myriad of directions.

Because of the preparatory work for these events, my revising is going slower than I want, and while I tell myself that everything has a time and a purpose (cue The Byrds), it hasn't lessened my frustration. I really really really wanted to be querying this month, but still have 2/3's of a manuscript to revise and am searching for a few beta readers too (seriously, if you are interested in reading Women's Fiction with magic realism, please let me know. More than happy to return the favor as of April 1st).

But there are a few things to celebrate. One, I have worked on my revision every single day. Never mind that sometimes it is only a paragraph before I can't keep my eyes open anymore, I'm still there, with it, daily. I'm spending time with my kids. They will turn 8, 10 and 12 before this month is out, and time with them will only speed up from here. I don't want them to remember me as the mom who was always at the laptop, something I remind myself when I'm looking at said laptop longingly while helping middle child grow mold on bread. And I'm right on track for my reading schedule (45 books in 2013).

It's very, very, very easy to get frustrated, especially when I have friends who crank out revisions and new words faster than I consume Diet Coke. But I have to remind myself that this time last year, I was barely writing anything, and then it was maybe a day a week. I have a finished MS. And I got myself removed from being in charge of prom next year (YAY!!!!!).

But for today, I'm just hoping for progress. I have to remind myself that every little paragraph or sentence or word that I improve is moving me forward, and I hold out just a little hope that there was some element of truth to The Tortoise and The Hare.

How do you work in time for your writing when life is fighting you? Are you a slower writer like me? How have you seen your own commitment improve over time?

17 comments :

J. A. Bennett said...

You can't compare your progress to others it will drive you insane! Do what you can do, those little bits will add up to a whole. I think you're doing awesome!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I feel your frustration. There just aren't enough hours in a day! I fantasize about having like a whole weekend trapped somewhere alone. I have a hard time switching from one "job" to another...from cleaning, to blogging, to editing, to writing.

But like you, I have been giving myself "atta girls" for finishing small things.

(As for beta'ing...I am slow, but willing. I'm reading a two right now, but if you aren't in a big hurry, I am a chick lit gal!)

eseckman(at)ymail(dot)com is my email.

Julie Luek said...

All our projects and all the aspects to life (mommy, wife, friend) need our attention. It can be overwhelming but, for me, it's also the richness and layers that provide me satisfaction in life. Even if I do pull a few hairs out in the process!

ilima said...

It's sooo hard. I'm still struggling to fit it in when life isn't crazy. I usually write late at night, but I'm feeling old because it's taking its toll on me and I don't know how to fix it. Good luck!

Jessie Humphries said...

Why is March such a heavy birthday month?! I have four March birthdays within a few days of each other! My husband, my sister, my niece, and now my sister's baby (yesterday)! What special baby making event happens 9 months before now?

JeffO said...

A little progress each day is still progress each day, right? Hang in there. It took me close to three weeks to do three chapters in my WiP, but I think they're better than they were before.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We all have different priorities and things we juggle. That you can still revise even a little bit every day is an accomplishment.
And just how fast does mold grow on bread?

Andrew Leon said...

I'm editing right now, too. Posted about it Tuesday.
Hate it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sometimes you just have to roll with it, do what you need to do and hope for April.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I wear more hats than most people realize and some days I wonder if I'm a Jack-of-all-trades-but-master-of-none kind of person. But someone used to tell me "Just a little bit every day" and I try to remember that.

Nicole said...

I'm right there with you on this one. Hang in there and know that it's okay to give yourself another day...another week...another month to tackle everything on your plate.

Krista McLaughlin said...

I understand your frustration! I'd like to be querying too, but I'm waiting to finish another round of revisions and have my beta readers check it out. Hopefully we can both reach that point soon!

Tia Bach said...

2013 has been an insane year so far, so I totally get you! But you have the right attitude to acknowledge that you are revising, even if it is at a slower pace than you would like it. Here's to never giving up!!

My IWSG Post

Lexa Cain said...

Almost all writers hate revising and can't wait to query. But then we're querying and waiting ... and waiting, punctuated by a few requests and lots of rejections. Whatever you do, start a new project when you query. It'll make the waiting so much easier. Good luck! :-)

Donna K. Weaver said...

And just think--March is nearly 1/4 over. I'm looking forward to being a beta reader when you're ready.

Go you for persevering. At Storymaker my first year I heard about a guy who was so busy he had 15 each day to write. Period. But he kept at it and his book had just come out.

Chemist Ken said...

I'm a horribly slow writer! I've been working on my story for 3+ years and "hope" that I can finish it by the end of this year. Part of my slowness is because I want to spend time with my family, but most of it is because it takes me a long time to put words down on paper. But I try to make sure I write at least once a day. Good luck!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Tasha,

Nice to meet you.

Boy, can I relate. There NEVER is enough time. But we can only do what we can. Life is important too, we, as writers, must realize this. Because in life we get our stories, our friendships, our passions, and our inspiration.