Apr 4, 2013

A to Z - Dancing on Broken Glass

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

D is for Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock.


Synopsis from Goodreads: Lucy Houston and Mickey Chandler probably shouldn’t have fallen in love, let alone gotten married. They’re both plagued with faulty genes—he has bipolar disorder; she, a ravaging family history of breast cancer. But when their paths cross on the night of Lucy’s twenty-first birthday, sparks fly, and there’s no denying their chemistry. 

Cautious every step of the way, they are determined to make their relationship work—and they put their commitment in writing. Mickey will take his medication. Lucy won’t blame him for what is beyond his control. He promises honesty. She promises patience. Like any marriage, there are good days and bad days—and some very bad days. In dealing with their unique challenges, they make the heartbreaking decision not to have children. But when Lucy shows up for a routine physical just shy of their eleventh anniversary, she gets an impossible surprise that changes everything. Everything. Suddenly, all their rules are thrown out the window, and the two of them must redefine what love really is.

This is one of my favorite books of the year so far, and I don't know if it will move very far down the list.  Hancock tackles very difficult topics by creating characters who are perfectly imperfect. While the relationship between Lucy and Mickey is seemingly perfect at times, my heart broke for both of them more than once. I had moments when I was laughing so hard I had to stop reading and and times when I was crying so hard I had to stop reading. It is not a well known book but it is beautiful perfection and I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. 

Can you think of a book you love that tackles tough topics? Do you love or hate when a book makes you cry?


10 comments :

Donna K. Weaver said...

I can. Most of the books that touch me the most are ones that tackle tough topics. Dan Wells' I Am Not a Serial Killer series does it with mental illness.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Excellent topic, and good to read, I don't like books that causes me to cry, I like something that can make me feel happy.

Yvonne.

Dani said...

I don't like books that make me cry either. But this still seems like a great novel.
Dani @ Entertaining Interests
#warriorminion

Erin Shakespear said...

This one sounds really interesting!

Julie Luek said...

This book does sound very interesting. I am not much of a crier, but the last book that made me choke up was Marley & Me. No more books about dying dogs.

Daniel B. said...

Wow. From an evocative title to a litany of problems I KNOW the characters have, this book sounds like it breathes conflict like most people breath air.

Jai said...

This sounds very intersting.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

It sounds very interesting! I'm going to put it on my list.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I generally avoid books that will make me cry but I end up with some of them anyway. Not sure if I would like this book.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

I love it when a book makes me cry.