Apr 6, 2013

A to Z - Friday Night Knitting Club

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

F is for The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.


Synopsis from Goodreads: Walker and Daughter is Georgia Walker's little yarn shop, tucked into a quiet storefront on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The Friday Night Knitting Club was started by some of Georgia's regulars, who gather once a week to work on their latest projects and to chat-and occasionally clash-over their stories of love, life, and everything in between. 

Georgia has her hands full, juggling the demands of running the store and raising her spunky teen daughter, Dakota, by herself. Thank goodness for Anita, her mentor and dear friend, and the rest of the members of the knitting club-who are just as varied as the skeins of yarn in the shop's bins. There's Peri, a prelaw student turned handbag designer; Darwin, a somewhat aloof feminist grad student; and Lucie, a petite, quiet woman who's harboring some secrets of her own. 

However, unexpected changes soon throw these women's lives into disarray, and the shop's comfortable world gets shaken up like a snow globe. James, Georgia's ex, decides that he wants to play a larger role in Dakota's life-and possibly Georgia's as well. Cat, a former friend from high school, returns to New York as a rich Park Avenue wife and uneasily renews her old bond with Georgia. Meanwhile, Anita must confront her growing (and reciprocated) feelings for Marty, the kind neighborhood deli owner. And when the unthinkable happens, they realize what they've created: not just a knitting club, but a sisterhood.

This was a book that I liked way more than I thought I would. And one of my favorite things about a good book is one where the characters change in all sorts of ways. This happens with several characters in this book. The journey that both Georgia and Cat go through, the friendship that develops, is one of the most charming things about this book, but I found I loved all the characters so well. I know it's been out for a while, but you really need to add this to your reading list.

Have you had a book surprise you? What was the last thing you read that you liked much more than you thought you would?


8 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Not being into Space books I was genuinely surprised at Alex J. Cavanugh's Cassa books, I have read the two that are published and will get the third in September,

Enjoyed your post, have a wonderful week-end.
Yvonne.

Nick Wilford said...

I love when that happens. I really liked The Help. I'm kind of sceptical when a book is that massive as I don't always like them, but I enjoyed it.

Robin said...

I've read this one. I'm a knitter, so I couldn't resist when I saw it. THe last book that blew me away was Shatter Me (I'm still geeking out about it).

Erin Shakespear said...

Hmmmm....I can't think of a book that surprised me recently. But I have to say, I love the title of this book you've highlighted....The Friday Night Knitting Club. That is all kinds of awesome!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Trying to think of one that surprised me recently...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm so picking about the books I chose to read that I'm seldom surprised. You're sure giving me a lot of books to look up during this challenge.

Jai said...

I have not read it but I will be adding it to my TBR pile.

M. J. Joachim said...

This one is on my reading list, and I have a copy of it too. Best find time to read it now:)