Apr 8, 2013

A to Z - A Grown-up Kind of Pretty

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

G is for a Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson.


Synopsis from Goodreads: A GROWN-UP KIND OF PRETTY is a powerful saga of three generations of women, plagued by hardships and torn by a devastating secret, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of family. Fifteen-year-old Mosey Slocumb-spirited, sassy, and on the cusp of womanhood-is shaken when a small grave is unearthed in the backyard, and determined to figure out why it's there. Liza, her stroke-ravaged mother, is haunted by choices she made as a teenager. But it is Jenny, Mosey's strong and big-hearted grandmother, whose maternal love braids together the strands of the women's shared past--and who will stop at nothing to defend their future.

This was a book highlighted on Goodreads at the end of last year that sounded interesting and my library had it (win!). It is told from three points of view, and the tale that is woven through the book continued to crush my what I thought about characters and threw in twists as I got to see what really happened in the three lives.  Jenny (aka Big) was created perfectly. I LOVED her. I also enjoyed seeing how the decisions in the lives of previous generations really did impact those who followed.  

What books have you read that break the stereotype you thought they were setting up? Other books from several points of view that you have enjoyed?



8 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

What a lovely title? great review.

Yvonne.

Dani said...

Love the cover!
Dani @ Entertaining Interests
#warriorminion

Donna K. Weaver said...

I love that cover!

Donna Nolan said...

This sounds like a very interesting read. Your A to Z challenge is making my library list very long. :)

Cassie Mae said...

Tangled by Carolyn Mackler was a four person POV and I loved it! Usually I'm all for just one POV, but this one surprised me.

Robin said...

Jodi Picoult has done a bunch of great multiple POV books. When it's done right, I LOVE reading it. Add this one to my TBR.

Daniel B. said...

Wouldn't that apple be kind of messy and uncomfortable behind her belt?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like books from multiple pov's. I added this book to my list. You've given me a couple to look up. Hope my library has some of them.