Apr 9, 2013

A to Z - How to Eat a Cupcake

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

H is for How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue.



Synopsis from Goodreads: Funny, free-spirited Annie Quintana and sophisticated, ambitious Julia St. Clair come from two different worlds. Yet, as the daughter of the St. Clair’s housekeeper, Annie grew up in Julia’s San Francisco mansion and they forged a bond that only two little girls who know nothing of class differences and scholarships could—until a life-altering betrayal destroyed their friendship.

A decade later, Annie is now a talented, if underpaid, pastry chef who bakes to fill the void left in her heart by her mother’s death. Julia, a successful businesswoman, is tormented by a painful secret that could jeopardize her engagement to the man she loves. When a chance reunion prompts the unlikely duo to open a cupcakery, they must overcome past hurts and a mysterious saboteur or risk losing their fledgling business and any chance of healing their fractured friendship.


I just finished this book and let me tell you, description of the food alone is worth the read. I loved the characters, though it did take me a little while to care about them, longer than I would have thought. That being said, once I did, I really loved both of the main characters and found the plot even had some twists I didn't see coming. 

Can you think of a book that has delicious descriptions? 


15 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

A great and unique topic.

Yvonne.

Dani said...

I love how you are finding so many great novels to share!
Dani @ Entertaining Interests
#warriorminion

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm not a cake or cupcake fan but the character dynamics sound interesting.

J. A. Bennett said...

I love that cover and the premise. Very cute!

ilima said...

What a cute title, cover, and premise. Can't go wrong with food. :)

Julie Luek said...

OK I was just a wee bit disappointed I wasn't going to be given a step-by-step visual on how to lick off a big dollop of icing, but still the book sounds good. I loved A Lunch In Paris: A Love Story with Recipes. Great fun.

Laura said...

Mmm cupcakes! It sounds like an interesting read :)

Jai said...

Now I'm hungry. It sounds like a cute book.

Michael Offutt, S.F.A. said...

George R.R. Martin has good descriptions of food in any book he writes. Makes me think he might be a fat man. Wait. He is.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Eat a cupcake in one bite!
Ladies can eat it in two though.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

This one sounds interesting and I currently have an obsession with the cupcake shops popping up all over the place.

Elaine said...

I should read this! You know how fixated I get on food descriptions. :) I definitely need to read some of these awesome books you're spotlighting!

Daniel B. said...

Just like some posts carry a spoiler alert, this one has a nerd alert: one I've read with some extremely delicious descriptions is G.R.R.Martin's Fire and Ice series (at least as far as I've read).

Jess * Jessie * Jessy said...

Cupcakes! Yum. Books about food -- fiction and NF--seem to really sell. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Dwyer said...

You can't go wrong with cupcakes, right?