Apr 15, 2013

A to Z - Me Before You

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

M is for Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.


Synopsis from Goodreads: Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

This is currently my book of the year. The British sense of humor came through so well that I laughed out loud, hard, repeatedly. And then it would transition into a more somber tone, eliciting heartfelt emotion that always felt so genuine. There is some swearing (I know that bugs some people) though I never felt it was excessive. Me Before You gave me the reading experience that I crave, and I truly felt so sad for weeks that it was over. I compared it to The Fault in our Stars for 2013, but with grown-up characters. I loved loved loved it.

What is your book of the year so far? Do you like books that make you laugh and cry? Are you a fan of British humor? 



7 comments :

Sheila Siler said...

I shall have to look this up, I haven't read any British humor, so I can't say. Thanks for the tip!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I was lucky to win Alex's CassaFire and found it excellent reading.
Enjoyed your "M" post.

Yvonne.

Catherine Noble said...

That books sounds excellent, the writer has done an amazing job if you're still thinking of the characters weeks later!

My favourite book this year so far... oh it's a tough call between The Casual Vacancy and The Unlikely Pilgimage of Harold Fry!

Dani said...

This looks good!
Dani @ Entertaining Interests
#warriorminion

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not really my genre but I do enjoy British humor.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I love simple covers!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Another one I've not heard of.