Apr 16, 2013

A to Z - Night Circus

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

N is for The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.



Synopsis from GoodreadsThe circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. 

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands. 

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

I know lots of people have already read this book and know about it, but I still wanted to talk about it. Because the characters start young, people often think that it is a YA book, but the pacing and the scope of the story really makes me believe it is intended for a reader who doesn't mind slower more developed pacing. The story unfolds with incredible magic, comparable to the magic in the book itself. It has been over nine months since I read this book and I still think about it. 

Have you read The Night Circus? Do you have another book that incorporates magic that you have loved? 


8 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Not having read the book I found this short piece very good.

Yvonne.

Nick Wilford said...

It's on my Kindle to read, because I'm interested in seeing what the fuss is about!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Need to put this one on my list as I've seen so many good reviews.

ilima said...

This one's been on my to-be-read list for a while but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I loved The Night Circus! Such a unique story.
Have you read any Sarah Addison Allen? Much easier reads, less complicated plot lines, but very good. She has some fun magic in them, too. The Sugar Queen and Garden Spells are my favorites of hers.

Jai said...

I haven't read it yet. I does sound like a very interesting story.

ficticiousamo said...

Hiya :) have enjoyed reading your posts. Lots of folk there I'd not come across before.
Great theme!

auntyamo
http://ficticiousamo.wordpress.com/

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I haven't read this book. I might check it out on your recommendation.