Apr 22, 2013

A to Z - The State of Wonder

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

S is for The State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.


Synopsis from GoodreadsAs Dr. Marina Singh embarks upon an uncertain odyssey into the insect-infested Amazon, she will be forced to surrender herself to the lush but forbidding world that awaits within the jungle. Charged with finding her former mentor Dr. Annick Swenson, a researcher who has disappeared while working on a valuable new drug, she will have to confront her own memories of tragedy and sacrifice as she journeys into the unforgiving heart of darkness. Stirring and luminous, State of Wonder is a world unto itself, where unlikely beauty stands beside unimaginable loss beneath the rain forest's jeweled canopy.

This is a meaty read - don't plan on it being fast. That being said, it is gorgeous. It is the first Ann Patchett book I read and it completely blew me away.  While the style of writing is more sophisticated, I never felt that she made the story inaccessible.  I cared for the character more than I thought I would, and found myself longing to read through the whole time. I will seek out other books by Patchett (I've heard great things about Bel Canto).

Have you read a book that was a little harder than you expected to read that you still enjoyed? Do you have a certain time in your life when you look for a book that will challenge you?

12 comments :

Dani said...

You are amazing me with such great and interesting reads.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

You must read an awful lot, seriously this is another good write up.

Yvonne,

David P. King said...

When I first picked up LotRs, wow, that was like pulling teeth to get through, but in the long run, I'm glad I did. :)

Robin said...

The cover is gorgeous. I haven't read Ann Patchett yet, but I've heard good things. Maybe this will be my first one:)

Julie Luek said...

I love books with this kind of writing that require me to slow down and process and think. Thanks for the recommendation.

Elaine said...

I loved this one! I've got Bel Canto and Run if you want to borrow them. I wasn't crazy about The Magician's Assistant. (Are you amazed that it turns out I've read a little women's fiction after all? :) Thanks for spotlighting so many great titles this month!

Jai said...

Sounds like another good read.

Rechelle Owens, Romance Author said...

I haven't read anything by this author but this summary sounds so very interesting that I think that is going to change soon! Thanks for highlighting it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have to try this. I love writers who challenge me.

Connie Gruning said...

I'm adding this one to my Good Reads list. Thank you! I'm always on the look out for a meaty read!
Connie
A to Z-ing to the end
Peanut Butter and Whine

Tia Bach said...

This has been collecting dust by my bed for a while. I want to read it, but I know I'll need to be in the right place. The same happened with The Book Thief -- now it's one of my all time faves. Great post!

Scrumptious Setting = S

Jessie Humphries said...

"Jeweled canopy!" Wow, that does sound sophisticated! And totally beautiful. :)