Apr 23, 2013

A to Z - The Time Traveler's Wife

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

T is for The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.


Synopsis from Goodreads: A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.

This is another one of those books that I think most people have heard of, maybe you even saw the movie.  I watched the movie first and then read the book, and as is generally the case, I loved the book beyond what I thought I could because I really liked the movie too. This book lets the reader see so much more about Henry and Clare, which made me really love them even more. I cried in this book, several times, because of both the story and the writing. I love Henry and Clare individually, and I love them both for loving each other. It is not as squeaky clean as the movie depicted, but so worth the read. 

What book did you read after seeing the movie? Who are some of your favorite literary couples - why?




12 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Not having heard of the movie and can't really comment. The books certainly looks like a possible purchase,

Yvonne.

JeffO said...

This is one of those books I've heard about for quite a while and still haven't managed to get to.

I read Fight Club after seeing the movie. Loved the film. Loved the book, too.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I did like the movie and have been meaning to read the book. Last of the Mohicans is a movie that is much better than the book.

Stephanie B said...

This book made me cry on numerous occasions! I loved all of it! I didn't even know it was made into a movie.

Connie Keller said...

I haven't watched the movie, but I loved the book. I cried too.

ilima said...

This is one case where I liked the movie better. The characters in the book were just too unlikeable for me. Oh well.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was a movie as well, wasn't it?

Erin Shakespear said...

I actually don't usually read the book if I've seen the movie. It kind of spoils it for me.

Favorite literary couples? Hmmmm...probably Beatrice and Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing. And I'm sure I'll think of others later!

Jai said...

I haven't read the book but I am a fan of the movie.

Carrie-Anne said...

My ex-"fiancé" and I watched the movie, and didn't really like it. From reading honest low-star reviews of the book, I think it's safe to say I'd like the book even less.

I read the antiwar classic The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, by Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, after seeing the incredible 1921 film adaptation, which was Rudy Valentino's breakthrough role. Having seen the film already made the book even more incredible, and the next time I watched the film, that experience too was even more personal and riveting. This was one of the rare times when Hollywood got it right. I won't comment on the terrible 1962 "remake" that had almost nothing in common with either the book or the original film.

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Tasha. I've not read the book or seen the movie. The previews for the movie always looked good, so I'd like to see it one day.

MadelineAnn said...

I loved the book. My husband didn't, because he tried to 'understand' (ie keep track of) all the date and age changes - impossible. I am lazy, and just let it wash over me. Will try to see the film sometime, just to see what they did to it.