Apr 25, 2013

A to Z - The Violets of March

Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

V is the for the Violets of March by Sarah Jio (It's her second appearance).


Synopsis from Goodreads: In her twenties, Emily Wilson was on top of the world: she had a bestselling novel, a husband plucked from the pages of GQ, and a one-way ticket to happily ever after. 

Ten years later, the tide has turned on Emily's good fortune. So when her great-aunt Bee invites her to spend the month of March on Bainbridge Island in Washington State, Emily accepts, longing to be healed by the sea. Researching her next book, Emily discovers a red velvet diary, dated 1943, whose contents reveal startling connections to her own life.


This was actually the first Sarah Jio novel that I read - it was the synopsis, title, cover trifecta that made me want to read. I'm so very glad I did. Jio has a great way of writing stories that are heart-warming without being sappy, intriguing and comfortable at the same time. I find that her character development is just enough to make me feel like I know the character but still allowing a little room for my own interpretation. I really adored this book and have already pre-ordered Jio's book that comes out later this year.

Have you ever realized you loved an author at first book? Have a little bit of a writer crush on anyone like I do?


6 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

A good read about another good book you have read.

Yvonne.

Nick Wilford said...

Very pretty cover!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Simple but effective cover.

Zan Marie said...

I'm a new follower and fellow women's fiction writer. I love your site and your A to Z topic!

Jai said...

This sound like a good book. I'll have to check it out.

Juliet Marllier is an author I fell in love with at first read.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love it when I discover an author and find out they've written a bunch of books I can gobble up one after the other.