Apr 26, 2013

A to Z - The Witch's Daughter


Welcome to A to Z! This year, I'm highlighting women's fiction books (and probably instilling a decent amount of cover love in the process).

W is for The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston.


Synopsis from Goodreads: In the spring of 1628, the Witchfinder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate at the hands of the panicked mob: the Warlock Gideon Masters, and his Book of Shadows. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers she didn’t know she had and making her immortal. She couldn't have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he would be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.

In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life for herself, tending her garden and selling herbs and oils at the local farmers' market. But her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl called Tegan starts hanging around. Against her better judgment, Elizabeth begins teaching Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories--and demons—long thought forgotten.


Confession - I really like smart paranormal, the stuff that is grounded in legend and myth. I wanted to read this book when it first came out, but read some less than favorable reviews, decided I didn't care, I wanted to read it anyone and I was hooked by this book within the first chapter. I've decided one of the reasons people don't know what to think of this book is because it's two genres, really - it's a smart historical fiction as well as a fiction read, so it's neither as serious as people want or as light. I thought it was perfect. And imagine my delight when I realized a different book that I'm so tempted to buy is by the same author. 

Do you expect historical fiction to be serious? Are you more frustrated when a subject is lighter or heavier than you thought it would be?

8 comments :

Dani said...

I love witchy stuff. I'm gonna hav'ta check this out!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Yet another book to look out for, sounds right up my street,
Yvonne.

Jess said...

I love fiction grounded in myth and legend too. This sounds like a perfect combo of light and heavy for me!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like to be surprised but I usually prefer heavier in my historical fiction.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd think that historical fiction that's not serious would be more enjoyable to read.

Jai said...

This sounds wonderful. Another book for the pile.

Carrie-Anne said...

I live and breathe all things historical, and strongly prefer my historicals to be serious. I HATE this current trend of Gossip Girl in period clothes, with series like The Luxe and The Flappers. Those are just contemporary characters in old clothes, with some historical window-dressing tossed in.

I don't like when a book goes the other way either, forcing in every single historical event or trend and feeling more like a history lesson than a story about real people who happen to be living through a historic time.

Debra Mauldin said...

Like you, I have looked at this book several times, but just never purchased it or read it. Now, I know it is a must read. :) Personally, I love historical fiction and prefer light reads. If it is a subject I really like I can handle a heavier read, but have laid down several books, half read, because they were heavier than I cared for.
#1202
A to Z April Blogging Challenge
http://mauldinfamily1.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/x-is-for-xerosis/