May 1, 2013

IWSG - All the Pots

It is time for Alex J. Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. The purpose is to to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


Have you ever tried to make a really big dinner? By yourself? If you have, you may have experienced life with lots of pots on lots of burners, some which will inevitably need to be stirred or turned down when the thing in the oven has to come out. Try as you might, something is going to be under or over done. 

I feel like I am firmly planted in the middle of life's kitchen, experiencing this thing all the time. I didn't get my last two A to Z posts up. And the thing that's under done is my revision on my MS. I really really really want to take care of that little pot, sitting over there, just waiting for me, but all the other pots are boiling over and I'm reacting to all of them and not doing any of it well. 

The tricky thing with this is not getting annoyed with the people in my life that are keeping me from my revision. I get frustrated easily, which can turn into anger. I'm frustrated because the timeline I had set up for revisions and queries keeps getting pushed back and back and weeks are turning into months, and I'm terrified that will then turn into years. But right now, I don't know how to take the pots from the stove to put on the ones I want.

How do you balance everything? How do you avoid getting discouraged?


15 comments :

Cassie Mae said...

I'm not much help. I'm paying attention to the diaper and formula pots and when I finally get them settled, I usually screw around in the FB pot, LOL. I think it's all about finding that half hour, or that one day, or whatever works where you can shut yourself in your room, stick your headphones in and ignore everything but your characters. It's hard to find time for it, but if you make it a regular thing, like brushing your teeth, it becomes woven into your routine you won't notice it after a month or so.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm out of balance right now, so I can relate.
We need goals, but even when we miss them, every day is a chance to try again. Don't beat yourself up over a slow pace.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I take a deep breath and reevaluate my priorities. I need to remember to try not to get those mixed up, that the people in my life are more important than arbitrary deadlines or imaginary friends. It can be hard sometimes.

Jai said...

I'm a bit out of balance myself right now. A-Z took its toll, but I decided to make it a priority and that helped me not stress about the rest.

Now that it is done I am going to reevaluate, reassess and prioritize.

But first I'm going to take a deep breath and relax.

S.P. Bowers said...

Love the cooking metaphor because that's exactly how it is.

I feel this constantly. And life will always be handing us more. Try focusing on what you did do, not what you haven't yet done. Celebrate your accomplishments.

Debra Mauldin said...

How do you balance everything? How do you avoid getting discouraged?
I'm still looking for the perfect balance and I do get discouraged. It is my followers, readers, and commenters that keep me going.
http://www.mauldinfamily1.wordpress.com

prerna pickett said...

finding time is always hard, especially when you have a job and family...hang in there, you can do it!

Julie Luek said...

Speaking of pots, I have to be careful not to get too many simmering-- that's when my stress level starts to increase. I know I have family and life obligations and I know I want to write and need to make time for that. After those "biggies" I have to be careful to go easy on all the other demands that could so easily suck my time.

Suzanne Furness said...

This is one of the age old questions, Tasha and one I wish I could answer! Keeping all the pots stirred is so difficult and frustrating I guess one way is to concentrate on the really important ones like family first then make a writing date with yourself. Put it in the diary/calender/chalk board whatever works in your house and then maybe others will support your need for a bit of you time. Best of luck :)

Great metaphor by the way!

Andrew Leon said...

I don't end up with over or under done things. However, I do end up with things that need to be reheated or kept warm. I think this applies.

Michael Offutt, "Johnny on the Spot" said...

I threw balance out the window a long time ago.

M. R. Buttars said...

You just summed up my entire thoughts for the past month! Life can get crazy sometimes and it feels like all of life's pots are boiling over, while the thing you really want is left to burn or grow cold. I know my writing has been neglected as of late.
Hang in there! Eventually the pots will simmer down, the contents will be eaten, and you will be able to focus on the stuff you really want--the awesome chocolate sauce waiting on that back burner! ;)

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

Isn't it when we are most frustrated we take it out on those closest to us. I get it. I have a few pots on the burner as well. My issue is they all have deadlines. Like I am racing against time or they are going to burn the house down. OK, maybe a little to dramatic, but you know what I mean. haha.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I wrote my post on juggling also. I've gotten better at it but there are still days when I can't get to what I want to. Family and sometimes the day job push writing plans aside. My only advice is it will get better somewhere down the road.

Misha Gericke said...

I just keep reminding me that life happens. Sometimes, writing just can't be our biggest priority. Good thing too, because if we don't live, we have nothing to write about. :-)