May 8, 2013

Seeds of an Idea

A few weeks ago, my CP's were meeting and I shared with them one of the several thoughts I have about the afterlife, which isn't shocking because that is the kind of book I'm writing/revising/will be working on forever.

Several days later, a memory was triggered of a very beloved professor sharing his idea of the ideal afterlife (this is a little less than doctrinal mind you) that I realized I'd adopted, the idea that the great minds from across the ages who never had the chance to meet while alive because of location or time of living, gather together and discuss the things they knew and the ways their intelligence wasn't quite complete.

NERD ALERT:
More often than not, I imagine what it would be like to have composers collaborating, taking their skill set and eliminating the constraints put on them by necessity to provide for a family, who would actually pay for their music, and just creating the art in their head. There isn't much of this idea in my current work, but it still has a place in my subconscious, marinating and becoming better through the years.

The whole point of this is that there are little things, little ideas that when shared, can become something really amazing. They may not be shared with the whole world in the form of a book, but who says there can't be some ideas that we can be selfish about, some that we revisit just to make our days in this crazy world a little happier.

My professor is very much a hands off technology sort of guy. He's really hard to get in touch with, but I'm so grateful for his willingness to share an intimate thought of happiness with me. Sometimes I forget about it, which makes the joy of finding it again and again so much greater.




11 comments :

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love the part about 'will be working on forever'. It usually feels that way. :D

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think the professor would be thrilled that something he said has impacted you so much.

Loca4crafts said...

I like your professor's idea of the afterlife.

Julie Luek said...

This would be the kind of afterlife my father would have dreamt of. He was a frustrated intellect all his life.

Michael Offutt, "Johnny on the Spot" said...

I wish I could believe in an afterlife. Unfortunately, all that awaits me is nothing. I become decomposing skin and return to the Earth as nothing as I was before I was born.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just think what we'll create when everyone meets up in the afterlife.

Jai said...

Working on forever. Yep, know that all too well.

Cherie Reich said...

That idea of the afterlife is very cool!

Emily R. King said...

It's interesting how we absorb things and when they come up later, in that moment we realize they've become a part of us. Very cool.

Heather Simone said...

How interesting! I love that concept. Think of all the writers that could get together!

Also, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. ;-) Stop by my blog for more info.

Dana said...

Hi there! I just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog during last Monday's Blitz. I appreciate your letting me know about Collins' TED Talk. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for helping made my day a great one. ☺