Jul 1, 2013

Hi.

If I had been an on the ball blogger, I would have made an announcement that I was taking time off, but truthfully I just got overwhelmed with life and didn't get to it. I would think about it sometimes, and then realize that I didn't have anything to say.

Here's what happened in June:
1. I turned 35. This was a weird thing for me because I'm no longer in my early 30's. And that means I'm closer to 40. And that freaks me out. Going from the 20's to the 30's was no big deal because it just wasn't a big deal. That's how old the people were on Friends and they were still hip and happening and stuff. But 40's. Ugh.

2. I finished my revision on TRANSCEND, entered it into Utah's Original Writing contest, sent it to beta readers, and wrote the 19283395872349th query for it.

3. Had a realization that I'm not the writer I need to be for the story that is hanging out in my head - has been for six or seven months. I need to research more, improve my craft more, and plot the heck out of it before I try again.

4. Have a different story idea that I really like and think I could write now. But the book is visiting my head in reverse - I know how it ends - for all the characters and I don't know how to get them to there. More plotting needs to happen, but in a way different than I've ever thought about a plot.

But the bottom line is that though my blogging has been sporadic at best so far this year, I'm determined to go out of 2013 stronger than I was in it. I'm planning on taking this blog toward more women's fiction things because, well, that's what I write and I want to have people who visit here to know that, to feel like this is a women's fiction home while still making writers feel comfortable. Details on that in a week :)

So if you are still here, thanks for sticking with me. I hope to make your patience worth the wait.

Have you ever had a book come to you in reverse?!? How did you manage it?

16 comments :

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

When a person realises they are nearer to another decade it makes one wonder, I am going through the same situation but a few decades further on.
Enjoyed your post very much.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Tasha! Good to hear from you.
I always see the ending of my stories first. I need to know where I am going, so it helps me when outlining the plot if I have a destination.
Glad you finished revisions on Transcend.
Turning forty wasn't fun for me either. Of course, fifty next year is going to really freak me out.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh looky, I wrote one more version of my query than you did. :D

I'm doing the same thing you are with my blog. I'm not making my more focused toward women's fiction, because, well, I don't write that genre. But I am going to post one day a week (starting in the fall) on topics relating to NA. My other day with still be business as usual.

JeffO said...

Welcome back, Tasha.

I haven't had a book come to me in reverse yet. My ideas start either at or close to the beginning, typically, and I muddle my way to the ending. Good luck!

David P. King said...

Firstly, happy birthday! I just came back from a month-long "I gotta get some stuff in my life taken care of" break, so it looks like you and I have the same idea of coming back today. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I usually know the ending of a book as soon as I envision the characters.
40 isn't so bad. You'll probably be too busy to notice it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Belated happy birthday. Turning 40 didn't bother me, but 30 sure did. I wasn't a 20-something anymore.

Just keep writing and you will become the writer who can tell that story.

Jessie Humphries said...

I'm blogging sporadically at best as well these days. But that's okay because it's better than nothing, where I'd never get to hear from you! I love how you have written your query billions of times! SO awesome :/

S.P. Bowers said...

Yes, I've had a book come to me in reverse. At least the last half did. I just wrote it in reverse. I wrote the final scene, then went and wrote the scene that came before it, then tried to figure out how they got there. You get the picture. It worked really well actually. At least that way you know it's coming from the characters.

Andrew Leon said...

Do you plan to give us all cookies? That would definitely make it worth the wait.

Roni said...

I think it's fantastic you know how you want your next book to end. I have read plenty of books from well known writers where you could tell that they had an amazing plot formed in their head and no idea how to resolve it. It makes the plot seem less important. A strong ending is important to a lot of readers.

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey belated birthday girl :)

It sounds like you've got your head screwed on right when it comes to moving forward with your blog (need to work on *that* myself:)

Good luck with all the book ideas floating around in your head, and while I've never gone from end to start, I think it would be fun to try one day.... *if* her Muse-ness was ever so inclined :)

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I only hear great stuff about your book so I'm hoping it gets published so I can read it :) :) :)

And I hear you on the birthday stuff. I'm having trouble with just the idea of 30's. I don't wanna think about 40's (and you're not that close BTW)

Nicole said...

Happy belated birthday! I've definitely had ideas/books come to me out of order, but I don't know if I've ever had "the end" before the beginning.

ilima said...

There's a portion of the book I'm revising right now that I'm trying to work out in reverse, and it's tuff. If you have any pointers, let me know!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

40 is all right. I mean it beats the alternative...