Aug 19, 2013

A post and a recap!

This just hasn't been a good year for me and blogging. Every time I think I'm getting back on the horse, I find myself holding a stick pony while the horses are riding into the sunset. And I have this thing in my head that says if a post isn't posted by a certain time on a certain day, it's just dumb to put one up that late. Lame.

Part of it, too, might be related to the fact that I have spent every spare moment the last few weeks prepping for this new school year. We are implementing the new core standards, which I am a huge fan of, but they are harder, and helping the students make the huge jump into a new, more abstract way of thinking requires a decent amount of hand holding and baby stepping, knowing when to go really slow and when to really push. And that process results in lots of researching and second guessing.

I guess I'm officially in the writing gig now - I sent out a batch of five queries and received four rejections. Consider me in :)

But there is a bright side. While I haven't written anything substantial or revised anything substantial in three weeks, I haven't let writing slip from my mind, and two days ago, I finally figured out where the next story needs to start. I have a tendency in my writing to want to start a story too early. The initial start of this story started about 15 years too early, so WHEW! that I figured that out now instead of editing out fifteen years to get to where I needed to be. At first I was really sad because the initial start is really pretty writing, but I decided I can work at least part of it in as a flashback, which means big jump in the word count sometime later.

And with that, I have posted on my blog and given you a rather rambly version of my life.

Do you start stories too soon? How's your blogging been going? 

11 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fifteen years is a big difference.
Sorry about the four rejections. Time to send out more queries.
Hope everything goes well with the new core standards.

Karen Walker said...

My energy for blogging has been sagging for a year or so now. But it seems that a lot of other bloggers are not blogging as much or blog hopping as much as before.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Starting the story too soon is something I always worry about. My editors always had me change the starting points in my novels when I first starting writing, usually taking out the entire first chapter or more.

Jessie Humphries said...

Like most everything in my life, blogging has taken a back seat to summer vacationing! Oh well, Fall is just around the corner and I can't wait. Congrats on joining the official writing club. Nothing like the badge of rejection to get your toes wet ;)

ilima said...

Fifteen years is quite a chunk, but I'm glad you figured it out. Good luck with the queries!

Julie Luek said...

I saw congratulations on the rejections-- it means you are sending things out and yes, a writer!

Emily R. King said...

Starting stories too soon is an epidemic. Glad you didn't catch the disease! But hey, you've got your backstory figured out!

Melissa said...

I know about life getting in the way. I'm the queen of THAT this summer. LOL

Good luck with your job and your queries. :)

J. A. Bennett said...

Congrats on sending queries! That's a huge step. My stories always start too soon. I need to figure out how to get out of that. I'm finally back into blogging again now that school has started. Hard to keep up over the summer. I do so much better with a schedule!

Nisa Swineford said...

I'm the opposite. I tend to start too late. I think I'm getting better at that though. No one wants too much boring back story. I'm glad you've found the perfect starting point!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Congrats on querying! Isn't it awful? That's pretty amazing that you've heard back. At least they looked at them. I had one come back months later after I'd signed a contract for the book. lol