Aug 1, 2013

Friday Night Alibi Tour: Cassie on getting the laugh

Today I'm hosting Cassie Mae as she is rounding up her blog tour for her NA novel Friday Night Alibi. Take it away Cassie :)


First of all, a BIG SHOUT OUT TO MY GIRL, Tasha, for letting me invade her blog for my tour. You rock ;)

Let’s talk about being funny.
I’ve been asked how to write comedy, and I seriously go uhh…


Yes, I’m loads of help. But here’s the thing about funny in books. The LOL moments, the holy-cow-I’m-snorting-on-a-bus-full-of-people-because-of-this-book, the did-I-really-just-read-that-right parts in books. Whatever you think is going to be funny, whatever you FORCE to be funny, will not be funny.

It’s when you just sit back and write your character’s voice. Even in the most serious of books, a character whose voice is strong and proud will be funny on their own. And your readers will LOL at moments that you, as an author never would’ve expected.

Also, putting your characters in funny situations helps, but if it’s forced, then it will fall flat. Bring on that voice!

For example…
I wrote this line, thinking yes! Here is the funny:
This guy probably thinks I have the world’s smallest bladder. It’s like I drink a can, then empty it in another almost immediately.
Apparently, not a lot of people get this one. I was the only one laughing at this line because I was forcing funny. So yup, it’s gone in the final version.
Joke: Fail

But here is a line I didn’t intend to be funny, but people have highlighted or quoted because THEY thought it was funny:
Wow, the truth survived the gossip train. I was expecting some contorted story about how I pantsed Chase and shoved a tennis ball up his butt.
Seriously… all I was doing was recapping a conversation. But I let my character do the talking. And I got a big whoop of accomplishment.

Yay! I made you laugh!

When writing comedy, KNOW your characters. Get a good grip on how they would describe things, how they’d react to things, and what they would say out loud versus what they’d keep to themselves. (or only tell the reader ;)) And don’t be afraid to let them say what you would NEVER say.

Go with the funny flow. :D
a Rafflecopter giveaway
You can buy Friday Night Alibi here.

Cassie Mae is a nerd to the core from Utah, who likes to write about other nerds who find love. She’s the author of the Amazon Bestseller REASONS I FELL FOR THE FUNNY FAT FRIEND, and is the debut author for the Random House FLIRT line with her New Adult novels FRIDAY NIGHT ALIBI and SWITCHED. She also has a three book deal with Swoon Romance Publishing, including her book HOW TO DATE A NERD. She spends time with her angel children and perfect husband who fan her and feed her grapes while she clacks away on the keyboard. Then she wakes up from that dream world and manages to get a few words on the computer while the house explodes around her. When she’s not writing, she’s spending time with the youth in her community as a volleyball and basketball coach, or searching the house desperately for chocolate.

10 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cassie, you are the master of funny. (And I have a file of your critique comments to prove it.)
I think when we just let the characters go in conversation, funny lines will emerge on their own.
And yes, that second line is hilarious.

ilima said...

I like the emptying it in another can joke, haha. I agree that it has to come from the character.

J. A. Bennett said...

Um hon, you do know how to write funny. You do it brilliantly!

Jai said...

I find the small bladder joke funny. My dad always looked at me and said, "Drink one, pee two."
I had visions of steeling his can to be sure the equation equaled.

Boyah dad, don't make fun of me.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I'm no comedian so something I write has to turn out to be funny. Nice post and you're the fun master Cassie.

Leslie Rodriguez said...

That's funny. esseboo@yahoo.com

Leigh Covington said...

I'm thinking Cassie should take a bit of her brilliance, slip it in my Coke and hopefully I can catch something from it cause I love this girl! Her writing ROCKS and she is uber funny without even trying - obviously :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Thanks you! People always ask, why don't I write comedy? And I'm like I can't, funny can't be forced...it just happens and until there is a story in my head, I can't just make it so.

Christine Rains said...

Great post! I do my best to be witty, but I have a real dry sense of humor and I hope the things my characters end up saying don't sound silly!

Donna K. Weaver said...

This book looks like so much fun! Now if I just had more time for paper books!