Sep 6, 2013

Plotting and Hunkering

When I first started writing, I thought I was a pantser. In some ways, it worked, but mostly it was just me trying to figure out how this writing thing worked. Since I have been studying and learning, I have realized that the kinds of stories I think of to write are beyond the realm of my brain to keep straight on its own. So I plot.

I had really great success with a beat board, but I had to spend lots of time fleshing out my characters first. And that is where I am right now. I plan on another quick edit of some things to query TRANSCEND in another batch, and then I'm figuring out all the nuances of the new characters for new book and going to beat board this weekend.

But I just found this really cool link to how other authors brainstorm/outline, and knew I needed to show it to all of you if you haven't seen it already. I thought it was really cool to see the different ways very accomplished authors outlined. So, go look at this, sit down with the words you mean to write, and have a writing filled weekend! I know I will :)

9 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you figured out your groove. I'm sure all those different ways to outline will overwhelm me. Mine are so basic.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I do basic outlines and character bios before starting a new book. I think everyone needs to find the way that works for them. Glad you did.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I tried pantsing once and failed horribly with a story that rambled from one section to another and didn't have any cohesive glue holding it together. I much prefer plotting these days.

Nicole said...

I scribble like this all the time when developing my books - so glad to see I'm not the only one. ;)

JeffO said...

Good for you for finding something that works for you. My printed pages and notebooks are all full of circles and arrows and brackets. Still can't bring myself to outline, though.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

That article about the famous authors' outlines was fascinating; they should put copies of those in a book, and then I could buy it. I've always been more of a pantser, but I've heard of people who are both plotters and pantsers. That is, they start plotting after they've written the first or second draft. So I've been thinking that plotting could help me, since I've been pretty stuck on my manuscripts lately.

aman kesherwani said...

Nice Site I Am Impresed

World Largest Mp3 Collection......Sites

songspk

Boss songspk

songspk

Boss songspk

mp3 download

Fresher Requirtment


Julie Luek said...

Oh thanks for sharing the site!

Raquel Byrnes said...

I'd actually never heard of beatboard so now I have two great ideas to check out. :) Thanks!
Edge of Your Seat Romance