Oct 28, 2013

My Love of Magic Realism

If you have been following this blog for very long, you will know that I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to categorize my writing. There were so many things it almost was, but wasn't. When I fully researched Magic Realism, and the nuances of the genre, and realized this is what I write, I did a happy dance of joy (in my head. Dancing out loud for me is not a frequent occurrence. The world is happy about this).

But last week, I had an epiphany. My three very favorite movies of my childhood were Pete's Dragon, Mary Poppins and (my favoritest) Bedknobs and Broomsticks. 

Sing with me, "Bobbin along..."


My favorite movie in college? Practical Magic.

Duh. Magic realism. Every blinkin' one.

I think that is the issue we sometimes get into in our writing. We get so caught up in what is this, and how do I convey it, but if we will just sit back, tell the story that is in our heart, we will probably realize we are writing what we have loved all along.

Recently, as I'm querying TRANSCEND, I've been working on a new book. I've started it over at least five times, trying to figure out how to format it, what point of view works, can I do this style of writing as well as... and it has left me paralyzed to some extent.

This is one of the big reasons I'm going to NaNo this book. I need to just write the story, get what is within me out on the page. Then worry about the formatting, layering, imagery, etc. This will be my 6th year doing NaNo, I haven't won yet, at least not according to their standards. But every time I participate, I figure out something about my story, something where I was stuck. It forces me to trust myself as a writer and just get the story out.

When did you know what genre you write? Do you have a history with it? Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?

10 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you discovered your genre.
I didn't know space opera was a genre, but that style of movie and book I've always enjoyed, so only natural I would write it.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I LOVE Magic Realism! Love, love, love. I never would have thought of those movies, either, but you are totally right! Someone recently pointed out to me that Tuck Everlasting is Magic Realism, too, which is one of my favorite books from when I was a kid.
Good luck with Nano! I can't wait to hear what you come up with!

Cathy said...

I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude for magic realism. I discovered the genre that best fit my voice is also the easiest one for me to write, and that is inspirational works that focus relentlessly on the relationship between a man and a woman. I love the conflicts and the minute emotional nuances.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

no NaNo for me. Six years is impressive. Maybe next year I'll join.

JeffO said...

I've struggled with the genre thing since day 1. Like you, I think I find it more by what it's not than what it is.

Julie Luek said...

I tried writing fiction but had that kind of "ah ha!" moment when I realized what I really love is nonfiction-- both to read and to write. Finding our "nest" is great-- then we have to get down to biz and write.

Robin said...

I write MR and LOVE reading it, as well. When I wrote my first MR manuscript (for NaNo) I didn't know what genre it was until my CP told me it was MR. I hadn't even heard of it before, but I sure enjoy it. Looking forward to reading yours! And you have such a positive view of NaNo whether you get to 50K or not. I think that's wonderful. I worry about the word count, hence being undecided if I'll tackle it this year or not. Best of luck to you!

Robin said...

I write MR and LOVE reading it, as well. When I wrote my first MR manuscript (for NaNo) I didn't know what genre it was until my CP told me it was MR. I hadn't even heard of it before, but I sure enjoy it. Looking forward to reading yours! And you have such a positive view of NaNo whether you get to 50K or not. I think that's wonderful. I worry about the word count, hence being undecided if I'll tackle it this year or not. Best of luck to you!

Emily R. King said...

Very good! So glad you found your niche, Tasha!

Susanne Drazic said...

Best wishes with NaNo! I'm not doing it this year. Decided to sign up for some health webinars instead.