Oct 7, 2013

You're too ________ - so what?

This is the conversation I've been having with myself lately. I'm too busy to do that. I'm too tired to do that, I'm too pick-the-excuse-of-the-day to do that.

And guess who has paid for my excuses.

Me.

Here's the thing. I'm busy, and not just for busy sake. But I was busy last year too and still had more writing done by this time after the school year started than I have this year.

I'm pushing my writing style, really working on making the beauty of the story that exists in my head get somewhat depicted on paper, and the writing is slower. But I'm not putting in the time that I need to in order to develop the habit of the writing that I want.

I queried before school started (ahem, August) and haven't sent anymore out.


Here's the deal with habits. When you have one, when you are actively engaged in a habit, it just makes sense to do all the things that need to be done. And when you allow yourself to slip from the habit, you find every excuse why you can't start it again.

What it comes down to is this - what do you want from your life? Because it doesn't really matter what your mom, dad, spouse, siblings, kids, friends, coworkers want from your life. It doesn't matter what you SAY you want from your life. It only matters what you do to prove to yourself what you want from you life.

For me? I want publication. I want an agent. I want writing to have a significant role in my life.

I just have to prove it to myself again.

What do you do to get off the excuses train? 

14 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you really want to write, then do it!
What I really want is what I am doing.

Cathy said...

I stopped being super woman, one who was quite literally killing myself with declining health as a result, and TOLD my husband that I was retiring from a 45+ hour week job! to devote myself to my writing! at last. If he didn't like it, he could deal with it as he chose, but I had drawn a line in cement.

Roni said...

I love your Ellen Glasgow quote! The best way for me to get off the excuses train is to set a specific time and date that I will do whatever it is I've been meaning to do, and schedule around it if I must. It then becomes more set in stone and not something I only tell myself I really should be doing, but don't.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm getting much better at not believing my own excuses.

JeffO said...

I've been sliding a bit lately, too. Really, it's a matter of remembering what you want, and just forcing yourself to do it.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I can totally relate to this post. It also made me think of exercise; when I first joined a gym, I never wanted to go. But once I made a habit of it and went regularly, I started getting antsy when I missed a workout. I really need to turn writing into a regular habit, because I don't do it as often as I should.

Jessie Humphries said...

It only takes a few times to create a habit, so baby steps helps for me. Psychologically I have a hard time making big commitments, but treating things as simple tasks helps me keep going. And I applaud your verbalized commitments for what you want. Because seriously, that's what it takes!

Emily R. King said...

Excuses, excuses. Man, those are hard, especially when some are valid hurtles to overcome. Hang in there, Tasha. You work hard, so it will happen.

Donna K. Weaver said...

They say it takes 3 weeks to create a new habit. The challenge for me is that I can forget that habit way quicker than that.

Julie Luek said...

Some bad or unhelpful habits are so ingrained that I have a hard time changing them-- it takes such conscious effort. Sometimes they are insulating me from fear of change and risk too. I'm with you-- I need to stop a few, learn a few new ones and be responsible and purposeful for the outcome of my life.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

You're not alone - I've gotten way off track lately, but I'm slowly finding my way again. It's helping that I'm planning on doing NaNo - I'm always more disciplined when I do that. Fingers crossed!

Love that quote!

Stopping by on the A-Z Road Trip....

Nicole said...

Hang in there! It's hard to settle into new habits and patterns, even when they're pushing toward something we want.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Excuses only hurt yourself. It's so important to have priorities.

David P. King said...

This post in the kick in the pants I needed! The only person responsible for our excuses is us. Spot on!

Thanks, Tasha. :)