Jan 10, 2014

The Emotional Thesaurus

When I was drafting TRANSCEND, and because of the way that it is written, I had a very hard time conveying what needed to be felt and thought and experienced by the characters in order to make the connection essential for the reader. That's when I stumbled across a little book called The Emotional Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi. 


This beautiful find has lists of dozens of emotions, along with what they look like, what the character may feel, what happens if that emotion has been building for a while. I reference this book at least once per chapter, comparing how I might have felt that with what they have listed. It is a wealth of knowledge for an incredible price, and if you download it on an ereader, the topics are all linked with the pages where that emotion is described. It's quite simply incredible. 

And then these two lovely ladies topped it. They recently released The Negative Trait Thesaurus


AND The Positive Trait Thesaurus. 


There is so much information in these three books that I am in awe every time I open them. And the best part? You can get ALL of these for less than $20. It is one of the best investments I've made as a writer, something I've probably mentioned before and will most likely mention again and again. These books are powerful tools that should be utlized often by anyone writing or revising. Buying info is HERE


11 comments :

Nissa Annakindt said...

I've wondered about The Emotion Thesaurus for a while. As a writer with Asperger Syndrome I wonder about whether I can depict character emotions the way a 'normal' writer could.

I'm not sure I'm going to run out and buy the book. But if they had it in my local library I'd sure check it out to get a better idea what it's like.

Kyra Lennon said...

I LOVE the Emotion Thesaurus, I recommend it to everyone!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't have the other two, but the Emotional Thesaurus is very helpful!

Jessie Humphries said...

Every time I see a copy of these books somewhere, I tell myself I need to get them. But now I've been placed on a spending freeze by the husband because of being very naughty over Christmas! Maybe in a few months... ;)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I love these books! I have all 3. And I often give them as prizes when I run writing contests :)

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

I love these books! I have all 3. And I often give them as prizes when I run writing contests :)

Rosalyn said...

Thanks for the reminder! I have a copy of the Emotion Thesaurus--I should probably pull it out for one of my revisions . . .

Cathy said...

I don't use the Emotion thesaurus once each chapter, but maybe once each scene! It's indispensable.

I wasn't sure the other books would be as useful. You've come close to persuading me to buy them.

ilima said...

I have the Emotion Thesaurus and love it. I'll have to check out the other two.

Morgan said...

I love the Emotion Thesaurus! I had no idea there were those other two books... very cool! :)

Nicole said...

Love these! They're such a great collection for writers.