Apr 1, 2014

The Nature of Value

I'm going on a year now of wanting this blog to be more than it has. A year of me reacting to the elements around me, of me not feeling like the commitment I had was being distributed the right way, a year of making excuses because of the events going on in my life outside of writing. 

But here's the bottom line. I've missed blogging. I've missed my online interactions. I've missed doing more than clicking like or favoriting a tweet or hitting a heart on tumblr. I know these interactions are easy and we feel like they create substance, but they don't. 

And the real bottom line is I'm capable of more, I have done more in the past, and I need to stop making excuses for all the things I can't do. 

I value the time I have to write, but will piddle away 10-15 minutes here and there in the working mom/parenting mom transition. I will tell myself I don't have the time to write a blog, or read someone elses, or write a few words in a scene, but somehow I'm on level 350 on Candy Crush. I recently stopped teaching piano lessons after school because I told myself, husband and kids that my time could be used better elsewhere, because I realize my kids are growing up (I now have a teenager) and will very soon be out of the house, but they still are involved in things after school during times when I could be productive in a myriad of different ways. 

So here's my new new leaf. Three blog posts a week - more if I think of something else to say. 

Because if I value something, my time should be spent there. Besides, level 350 isn't going anywhere. 


3 comments :

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Level 350 - whoa!
I confess, I play it on my iPad sometimes.
Look forward to more of you here, Tasha. And more writing for you.

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I haven't tried Candy Crush, partly because I have a feeling I'll start playing it a lot too. And also because I'd rather just eat candy. :)
I can only manage one blog post a week; I used to write two or three, but now I just do one and then I comment on other people's posts the rest of the week.

JeffO said...

I feel like blogging is a much better way to connect than those other things you mention. Good luck with your teenager, and with 3 posts a week--looking forward to it!